Equipment & Facilities
High-Performance Computing Facilities Maintained at UCY-CompSci
Dromis: HPC System-1
Dromis is a distributed memory system featuring 960 cores and total distributed memory of 10.7 TB. The compute nodes are connected with a high throughput low latency interconnect infiniband network. The computing system is connected though fiber-optic links to a mass storage system with a capacity of 14 TB
Merope: HPC System-2
Merope is a distributed memory system with 164 cores and a total of 596 GB memory. The computing system is connected to mass storage system with a capacity of 8TB.
Thetis: HPC System-3
Thetis is a shared memory system featuring 432 cores and a total of 576 GB of shared memory.
Orion: HPC System-4
Orion is a distributed memory system with 108 cores and a total memory of 432 GB used primarily for student training.
Central Mass Storage System
In addition to the live storage system that is connected via fiber optic links to the compute nodes of each HPC system, the HPC center offers a longer-term central storage capacity of 48 TB.
Medical Equipment (The Respiratory Physiology Laboratory)
Lung function testing
We use classical and sophisticated lung function tests for diagnostic and research purposes, such as:
- Spirometry: To perform a spirometry test, the patient is asked to blow forcefully into a mouthpiece connected with a small electronic device. As it needs patient’s cooperation, it is feasible from preschool age. It measures lung volumes and capacity and estimates central airway function. Two portable Vitalograph spirometers are available in our laboratory.
- Whole Body Plethysmography: To perform static lung volume measurements and respiratory resistance assessment our laboratory is equipped with the Jaeger Whole Body Plethysmograph. For this test the patient enters a body box and is asked to breathe into a mouthpiece connected with a small electronic device.
- Multiple breath washout test: The MBW test is performed during tidal breathing, and thus it is feasible from infancy onwards. Our laboratory is equipped with the Ecomedics EXHALYZER D Nitrogen washout system, which allows for the measurement of lung volumes and estimates peripheral airway function, as well as the degree of inhomogeneous ventilation in the lung (using the Lung Clearance Index, LCI).
- Fractional exhaled nitric oxide (FeNO) measurement: FeNO concentration is a marker of allergic airway inflammation and is measured by exhaling slowly into a device. Our lab has one stationery Ecomedics CLD88sp Nitric Oxide Chemiluminescence Analyzer and three hand-held Circassia NIOX VERO FeNO devices with an electrochemical sensor.
Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia (PCD) diagnostics
Our laboratory uses state-of-the-art diagnostic methods for PCD, based on the latest ERS guidelines (Lucas J et al, Eur Respir J 2017)
- Nasal Nitric Oxide (NO) measurement: The measurement of exhaled nasal NO concentration is used as a screening test for PCD diagnostics, as nasal NO is found low in PCD patients. Our laboratory uses the Ecomedics CLD88sp Nitric Oxide Analyzer.
- High Speed Video Microscopy (HSVM): HSVM is used to assess cilia motility ex vivo in tissue collected though nasal biopsy. Our laboratory is equipped with the automated SAVA SYSTEM for the performance of HSVM.
- Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM): In collaboration with the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, tissue collected though nasal biopsy is further processed in TEM for ciliary ultrastructural assessment.
- Genetic analysis: In collaboration with the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, blood samples are further processed for genetic analysis to identify PCD-causing mutations
- PCD cell culture unit: In collaboration with the Laboratory of Cell Biology and Molecular embryology, Dept of Biology, nasal epithelial cells are preserved in ALI cultures for research purposes.
Bronchoscopy is used to inspect the airways in infants and children for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes, using flexible bronchoscopes. The lab is equipped with the full range of pediatric scopes from 2.2 to 3.8 mm outer diameter.
Esophageal pH-Impedance Studies
This is the gold-standard method for diagnosis of gastro-esophageal reflux in infants and children by inserting a pH-Impedance catheter into the esophagus. For the performance of 24-hour esophageal pH-Impedance studies, our laboratory is equipped with the Ohmega MMS system from Laborie.
Medical Equipment (The Sleep E Motion Laboratory)
Electroencephalography (EEG) records the electrical activity of the brain through head electrodes that are placed superficial to the head. Special EEG analysis allow the investigation of spationtemporal brain rhythms and “kinetics”. Our lab is equipped with the latest Natus Device.
Polysomnography is a multimodal test used in the study of sleep and as a diagnostic tool in sleep medicine. It is the most comprehensive form of sleep recording study and at the same time one of the most comprehensive medical examinations available for collecting clinical information. Polysomnography records, with the use of advanced devices, for a long time during sleep, the activity of many systems such as:
-Brain activity via electroencephalographic recording (EEG)
-Capnography (Capnograph RespSense II@)
-Muscle activity via electromyography
-Motion and body positions via body sensors
Daytime Sleepiness and Vigilance Investigation Tests
– Multiple Sleep Latency Test, MSLT
– Multiple Wakefulness Test, MWT
– Sustained attention to response task (SART)
– Psychomotor vigilance test (PVT)
For the polysomnographic and daytime assessments our lab is equipped with 10/20 EEG, full video-Polysomnography Natus Embla NDx (SleepWork@) systems.
Advanced actigraphy is a reliable solution to long-term sleep-wake assessments. The laboratory owns advanced actigraphic systems (Somnowatch plus from Somnomedics)where in addition to body movements and position, they also offer the possibility of long-term home-based recording data of electroencephalography, respiration, heart function, muscle tone/activity and light reception.
Special Laboratory Biochemical and Hormonal Analyzes
In our lab we are carrying out, in collaboration with laboratories abroad, special laboratory biochemical and hormonal (eg measurement of hypocretin in cerebrospinal fluid for the diagnosis of narcolepsy, measurement of melatonin levels in saliva for the disturbances of circadian disorders etc.) and genetical (i.e. HLA complexes) analyzes that serve special diagnostics in sleep medicine.